Friday, May 7, 2010

Our larger family go to camp & I teach 4H sewing.

Gary & Gail started their schooling in grade 1 at our country school but one day we were asked to come to a meeting in Oak Lake about sending our children to the larger school in the town of Oak Lake. At first each family were responsible to drive the school age children the 7 miles
to school in the town of Oak Lake. There were several class rooms here as well as a high school as several students were ready for higher Education . Colleen had attended kindergarten several times a week as I had driven her into town, where the Dr wife & I had helped several of these small children to learn to play & learn together. This was held a couple of times each week in the towns rest room.
Our neighbor's had a meeting & decided we would use our own cars to transport our kids to school in town, I think there was two or three car loads which were transported, to & from school daily. Another meeting was held by the school division where it was decided to purchase school buses and hire drivers for each area. This was better for the farm family's. The country schools were closed & school bussing is being used to this day. I still continued Cooking for the church camps & would take our larger family with me each summer during the first 3 weeks of July.
We were in need of more cooks at camp so Barb Paterson replaced Mrs Kieth. Barb was in charge of the deserts & pies, but we worked together to get each meal .For the youth camp I would make buns & bread doughnuts. I believe Barb & I cooked each summer for this camp for at least 12 years. The cook stoves were out dated so we now had gas & one electric stoves .Then the camp board bought their own power plant, they also had to put in the flush out door toilets.
many Young people attended camp & there were children services & youth meetings in the after noons with some sports for the younger campers.
We had summer fair in Oak Lake, which is still going. Max & I took a vegetable collection &
the family often help get the vegetables ready. I have showed my home made quilts & the school children had their entry's as well.
Max cousin Lena Taylor asked me to help to organize and start the first 4H sewing club in our town ,many of these items were shown at the fair. I taught 4H sewing classes for 10 years. Our first class was for each girl to sew an apron then the next year they made them selves a skirt & one girl made herself a pair blue jeans. I helped with the first class on Public speaking when two girls went to Brandon to give their first 4H speech. I also taught a tailoring course to a class of twelve Lady's in Oak Lake.These years were very busy years,I had to quit going to the Oak Lake fair when I started cooking for Camps.

No comments:

Post a Comment